Viera, FL– June 29, 2017- The Pride are back in action this Friday, June 30, to face the Scrap Yard Dawgs in a three-game series hosted at Scrap Yard Sports Complex in Houston, Texas. The Pride are coming off a four-day break and will be facing the Dawgs for the second time this season.
The last time these two teams met, the Pride outscored the Dawgs 8 to 4 and out-hit the Dawgs 14 to 8 but the two-game series was split between the two teams 1-1. In game one, Kelly Kretschman and Hallie Wilson led the Pride offense going 3 for 3 and 3 for 4 respectively in the Pride’s 7-0 win with Megan Wiggins leading the team in RBI (2). In 4.1 innings pitched, Jolene Henderson struck out 5 hitters and allowed one hit. In game two, Lauren Chamberlain was the only Pride player to manage a hit off of Monica Abbott in the 4-1 loss.
The Pride currently stand at the top of the league with a 11-2 record. In thirteen games, the Pride have scored 77 runs, with 19 home runs, 71 RBI and averaged a .510 slugging percentage. The Pride pitching staff has totaled 85 strikeouts and have averaged a 1.46 ERA. Since losing against the Dawgs on June 17th the Pride have won five straight and have taken four series against the their opponents.
This the last series on the road for the Pride before they head back home to Viera where they will host seven games at USSSA Space Coast Stadium starting July 4th. USSSA will also be hosting four double-headers featuring the Beijing Eagles, the Scrap Yard Dawgs and the Texas Charge at USSSA Space Coast Stadium in Brevard County.
Fans can watch every Pride game all summer long on NPFTV.com.
Follow the Pride all season long on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for all game or team updates.
Pride Players to Watch:
- Kelly Kretschman: Kelly currently leads the league in batting average (.485), on-base percentage (.630) and slugging percentage (.909). She leads the Pride in hits (16), batting average, on-base percentage, slugging percentage and triples.
- Sierra Romero: Is leading the Pride team in home runs (4), tied with Shelby Pendley, and leads the Pride in RBI (12). Romero is currently hitting .267 with 8 hits, 7 runs scored, 2 doubles and a .733 slugging percentage.
- Shelby Pendley: Leads the Pride in home runs (4), tied with Romero, getting two of those four in the same night in games one and two of a Pride double header. Pendley also has 10 RBI, 13 hits, 9 runs scored and has the 3rd best batting average on the Pride with .361 and a .477 on-base percentage.
- Megan Wiggins: In, 13 starts, Megan continues to lead the team in runs (13), stolen bases (7) and doubles (3) with 9 hits, 6 RBI, and is currently hitting .273 with an on-base percentage of .455.
- Kirsti Merritt: Has the 2nd best batting average on the team, just behind Kelly Kretschman, with a .444 average, a .531 on-base percentage, 5 stolen bases, 11 runs scored and 12 hits so far this season.
- Keilani Ricketts: Ricketts leads the Pride pitching staff averaging a .631 ERA with 24 strikeouts and 4 wins on the season.
Scrap Yard Dawgs Players to Watch:
- Monica Abbott: So far this season, Abbott has struck out 66 batters with 6 wins and a .72 ERA.
- Allexis Bennett: Currently leads the Dawgs in hits (18) and is averaging .367 during 49 at-bats with 2 RBI, 6 runs scored and 5 stolen bases.
- Nerisssa Myers: Currently leads the Dawgs in HR (3), RBI (11), runs scored (10), and doubles (3) with 15 hits and a .341 batting average.
- This series features two former Cal Berkeley players, one on the Pride roster, Jolene Henderson, and one on the Dawgs roster, Britt Vonk.
- This series features three former Kentucky players, one on the Pride roster, Kelsey Nunley, and two on the Dawgs roster, Brittany Cervantes and Christian Stokes.
- This upcoming series in Houston marks the second time the Pride will face the Scrap Yard Dawgs following a regular season record of 6-4 versus the Dawgs in 2016. They are currently 1-1 this season.
Friday, June 30th 8:05 PM (EST)
Saturday July 1st 8:05 PM (EST)
Sunday, July 2nd 8:05 PM (EST)
About USSSA Florida Pride:
The USSSA Florida Pride is a professional franchise in the National Pro Fastpitch League that is owned and operated by USSSA. The amateur organization of USSSA has multi-sport coverage and encompasses teams and players from the United States and abroad.
About National Pro Fastpitch (NPF):
National Pro Fastpitch (NPF), an Official Development Partner of Major League Baseball since 2004, provides elite female athletes with an opportunity to pursue a professional career in fastpitch softball beyond their collegiate and amateur success. The NPF affiliate teams consist of the Akron Racers, Beijing Shougang Eagles, Chicago Bandits, Scrap Yard Dawgs, Texas Charge and USSSA Florida Pride for the 2017 season. National Pro Fastpitch players hail from the United States, Australia, Canada and China among which are the most accomplished and talented athletes in the sport of women’s softball.
USSSA is headquartered in Osceola County, Florida. USSSA is the World’s Largest Multi-sport Athletic Organization. Founded in 1968, USSSA has grown to over 3.7 million participants, competing in 13 nationally sanctioned sports including Baseball, Fastpitch, Slow Pitch, Karate, Basketball, Soccer and more! For more information on USSSA and to register your team visit USSSA.com. Also be sure to visit USSSAToday.com for the latest USSSA.
You must be logged in to post a comment Login